Music in the Waves
Just a little reflection....
Take a minute. Drink it in. Cool coastal air, salty and clean. The smell of wet sand. The feel of the cool grit under your toes. Bright sun warming your edges creeping into your insides like the way a marshmallow roasts.
This was my view one afternoon sitting on the sand in the shade of my car on the Washington coast. Not the exact view. I didn't have my camera but it is close enough.
Next to me was a friend, a very dear one in typical uniform blue jeans and a polo. We were chatting the afternoon away while I hid from the sun as my paleness isn't a fan of UV rays. It was sunny and "summer"ish but cool enough with the breeze to chap my cheeks bright red. I found myself retreating into my pale yellow hoodie as the afternoon wore on and the cool air creeps in. The sun no longer strong enough to warm me against the ocean breeze. As we sat talking about big things in life wave after wave rolled in. The friends around us skipped in the surf and ate their sandwiches...with a little extra sand.
At one point, he put his guitar across his knees in typical fashion and began to strum a little melody. As naturally as breathing, his voice carried a song. No surprise there. That was a voice made to sing. Worship, country, and occasionally the poor rendition of a pop melody...not his strong suit.
Lost in the sound soothing my senses mixing with the waves, I found myself singing along...something I did not do aloud often. It took a minute before I realized he had stopped playing and I was singing aloud...alone. My lips quickly sealed and fortunately the windburn hid my blushing. No one was supposed to ever hear me sing. EVER. It is not something I like to do in front of people.
(There's a long sad story that goes here but it suffices to say I'd rather not relive junior high choir.)
He turned and said "you have a really nice voice."
"umm...maybe the waves are tricking you."
"No I like the way you sing. You should do it more often. You have a voice to be heard."
"Only as long as I can sing with you. Your magic makes me better."
He elbowed me tenderly in the ribs and smirked his usual smirk.
We spent the rest of the day with friends in the surf. Anytime I reflect on that there is magic in the waves. It is one place I can still hear his voice...in the sweet memory that comforts my heart.
_____________________________________
This is the other. I love it. I've listened to it more than I care to admit. I'm so grateful to the person who recorded it. Besides one voicemail I've managed to save for years this is what I have left.
| Borrowed from http://www.pacific101.com/washington/ocean_shores/ocean%20shores.htm |
This was my view one afternoon sitting on the sand in the shade of my car on the Washington coast. Not the exact view. I didn't have my camera but it is close enough.
Next to me was a friend, a very dear one in typical uniform blue jeans and a polo. We were chatting the afternoon away while I hid from the sun as my paleness isn't a fan of UV rays. It was sunny and "summer"ish but cool enough with the breeze to chap my cheeks bright red. I found myself retreating into my pale yellow hoodie as the afternoon wore on and the cool air creeps in. The sun no longer strong enough to warm me against the ocean breeze. As we sat talking about big things in life wave after wave rolled in. The friends around us skipped in the surf and ate their sandwiches...with a little extra sand.
At one point, he put his guitar across his knees in typical fashion and began to strum a little melody. As naturally as breathing, his voice carried a song. No surprise there. That was a voice made to sing. Worship, country, and occasionally the poor rendition of a pop melody...not his strong suit.
Lost in the sound soothing my senses mixing with the waves, I found myself singing along...something I did not do aloud often. It took a minute before I realized he had stopped playing and I was singing aloud...alone. My lips quickly sealed and fortunately the windburn hid my blushing. No one was supposed to ever hear me sing. EVER. It is not something I like to do in front of people.
(There's a long sad story that goes here but it suffices to say I'd rather not relive junior high choir.)
He turned and said "you have a really nice voice."
"umm...maybe the waves are tricking you."
"No I like the way you sing. You should do it more often. You have a voice to be heard."
"Only as long as I can sing with you. Your magic makes me better."
He elbowed me tenderly in the ribs and smirked his usual smirk.
We spent the rest of the day with friends in the surf. Anytime I reflect on that there is magic in the waves. It is one place I can still hear his voice...in the sweet memory that comforts my heart.
_____________________________________
This is the other. I love it. I've listened to it more than I care to admit. I'm so grateful to the person who recorded it. Besides one voicemail I've managed to save for years this is what I have left.
Jeremy had such an incredible voice. I'm thankful for this recording too. We weren't as close as adults, but we grew up together and I have so many fond memories of our growing up time. Love you, Shanea!
ReplyDelete