Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice
For the rationals who need concrete:
It's a bit like the concept from Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcom Gladwell. The flash of intuition mixed with the knowledge to interpret it can lead to insight into patient condition. This intuitive judgement is honed by experience, knowledge, training and mentoring.
For the other part of my brain that talks in feeling and anchors "my gut." Iintuitionand a flash of insight is like the lightness of the of a feather dropping on the back of your hand. That's what it feels like when intuition whispers. It s a light gentle wisp that flashes in your "insides" that is easily overlooked in busy-ness or dismissed as something as mundane. I use the term "insides" because different nursing professionals describe that seat of intuition differently.
Example:
One fresh lung patient I was taking care of was set to be discharged early in the morning after my shift. During the morning lab draws I noticed his arm was a little more swollen than it was the night before. When I compared it to his other arm, there was a noticeable difference. I passed on the information in report to the day nurse that he might need a venous scan before he went home due to the swelling. I didn't think much of it as that morning several things had happened prior to that to make me doubt myself. When I talked to the nurse that had the patient that day, when I came back to work, it turns out the patient had several small clots in his arm and neck. He was able to be sent home on injectable blood thinners for the clots. I knew something was not right but I doubted that little instinct due to others' negative comments. This instance booted my confidence in my assessment skills and intuition for my patients.
It's a bit like the concept from Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcom Gladwell. The flash of intuition mixed with the knowledge to interpret it can lead to insight into patient condition. This intuitive judgement is honed by experience, knowledge, training and mentoring.
For the other part of my brain that talks in feeling and anchors "my gut." Iintuitionand a flash of insight is like the lightness of the of a feather dropping on the back of your hand. That's what it feels like when intuition whispers. It s a light gentle wisp that flashes in your "insides" that is easily overlooked in busy-ness or dismissed as something as mundane. I use the term "insides" because different nursing professionals describe that seat of intuition differently. Example:
Comments
Post a Comment