Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing


This is about the only picture taken of me in Honduras this year that I want to look at. I met this sweet lady last year after she came to the clinic. She was 92 then....93 this year. She came last year in the same pink dress and managed to sweet talk me into giving her extra toys for her grandkids. Seeing her is always a joy. Her closed mouth smile hides her nearly gone teeth. When you are close to her you can see her eyes sparkle. She is full of life. When we ask her if she knows Jesus. Her sweet response is that she does and he lets her keep living. She stated how blessed she is. I got a lippy kiss on the cheek and whispered that she was happy to have a sister in Christ. She went on to say that she came back this year to see me because she remembered me and if I never saw her again I'd see her in heaven. How sweet this is. This is the value of lasting relationships in a  community. She knows that the local doctors are there for her. She can access the specialists when they come to town.

She comes to clinic from a village not close by. She usually comes by truck with the other patients. When you see her feet you know why. one of them is clubbed. It is severely deformed to the point it won't fit in most shoes. Last year we rustled up a pair of men's shower sandals for her so she could prevent some of the foot wounds she was getting. By the time she left she had tucked them in her purse to save for special occasions.

I left knowing that if the only thing and only thing I did right was love on her. She unknowingly gave me far more than I could ever do for her.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies