...And On the Story Goes...

Today I saw my favorite office guy. He comes out a couple times a year to check out our IT. Check out a little of the back story in a previous entry - Butterflies + Bravery = Facepalm. Well he was back in the office today. We had a long call over Christmas as he remotely fixed out system while vacationing out of the country. We planned then for some more work to be done and today was the day. He was late...really late. When he finally called, I figured that we would have to reschedule but he still made it to my little office.

He came in and we started with the usual banter and catching up as I haven't physically seen him in months. The girls in the office know about how gives me butterflies so they were a little giggly from the time I unlocked the door.

I got straight to business and he was his usual friendly self...and as handsome as ever. The service appointment goes on and we keep chatting. I make a point to casually touch his elbow at one point and I get several long high fives. (Even writing this I know how dumb it sounds but nevertheless...it happened).

We were sitting in the back corner that will now be my office and working on the Windows Vista machine that is now my desktop. (If you have any pity on me, PM me for details on how to donate so I can retire the dinosaur.) He asked if I was still planning on leaving this job and I went into the story of how that wasn't really possible right now due to some transitions in the office and organizational needs.

This is where it gets interesting...keep reading...I'll do my best to be true to the conversation but I may have blanked out at one part.

He casually turns to me half standing and says "You know there is this other thing I do."
I was thinking he was going to pitch me his other business.

"I give the most amazing like deluxe hugs. Like the guy who stands out with the sign that says 'Free Hugs' but mine aren't free because they are that good. They are $2 and I think you could use one."

He turns back to the computer for a second as I start to stand up he and joked that he should bill me separately for the hug as that would be hard to put on an expense report.

In the blink of an eye, I am enveloped in the most wonderful, cozy, safe unawkward hug.

I was expecting a half hearted A-frame shoulder squeeze. I found myself lost in his embrace. I sunk into his arms, head in his chest. It was long...like long...almost a minute I think...this is where I think I blanked out. I relaxed, took a deep breath and let myself be in the moment, lost in the cozy safeness of this man who I feel like I barely know but in that moment spoke to the one thing I really needed.

As we separated, there was the lingering hands on back and slow disengagement. I could feel the blush in my cheeks. We went back to work seeing if the printer finally kicked out the test pages. More high-fives that lasted a little longer. He made pleasantries about not being stressed and such.

The end of the work neared and we made plans to get the parts we needed ordered to fix our little in office network. (By this point the girls were both back in the office. They missed all the good stuff.)

Before he left, I got another long, natural, amazing hug and another "It was nice to see you again Shanea'."I thought the gal at the desk saw it but nope; apparently we were at just the right angle. (She asked me later why we got quiet.)

Apparently I was bright red by the time he left. I needed a little frantic fanning. They are convinced this was him "making his move." Me...I'm not sure. I'm usually so wrong about these things. He'll be back next week to fix the network. I know tomorrow I'll be teased mercilessly because they love me.

Anyway this goes, his hug was the magic I needed today. Even better my dinosaur of a desktop now prints!


PS if "You" read this...I still owe you $2 for the hug. Can I pay with coffee or tea say Friday night?





Comments

  1. Replies
    1. I hoped that too...but I just found out he has a GF. Thanks to my super sleuth friend. He's coming in today. It should be interesting. If he does have a GF, those kinds of hugs should be off limits. Gah!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies