Ravaged: To Wreak Havoc On

Disclaimer: In the department I work in I only ever see the ones that don't do well. If their treatment is successful I'll probably never these this patients again. It's a daily struggle to remember that what I see is the worst of some of the worst...and that makes it hard to believe that the work we do matters for quality and not quantity of life. 

___________________________________________________

Ravage : an act or practice of ravaging :  to wreak havoc on :  affect destructively.

I read this quote in a nursing magazine not too long ago and if I'm really honest with myself I'd say that I understand.

"I feel ravaged by overexposure to human cruelty and suffering - if I were my own nurse, I would advise doing what feels good: take the kids to the park, dig in the garden, make love, cook good meals, spend time with friends."

Far more often that I like to admit to I cry on the way home from work. Part of that feeling is exhaustion. So much of what I do demands that I use my heart and my head extensively and there comes a point when there is nothing left to pour out. The other part is a sheer helplessness that comes from knowing that the work I do is mostly futile. I stave off death one more day in hopes that those I care for can spend their time with loved ones doing things they love. 

As I listen to the hopes, fears, and frustrations of the souls I am entrusted to care for it is a balancing act :  give them hope while I know that the end result is the same.

Give your end of life some thought. It's not a pleasant subject but it will help your loved ones carry out your wishes. It will  make their last years, months and days with you more pleasant as they can focus on making good memories not family meetings with social workers trying to pick the "right" thing to do. It can save you from painful, invasive procedures that add little to nothing to your life experience.

Below is the link to the Advanced Directives forms from Caring Connections. Check it out today. For yourself and for your family.
http://www.caringinfo.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3289

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies