Butterflies + Bravery = Facepalm

This is a face palm moment...but I was so excited for a minute it was totally worth it.

This is the situation. There is a gentleman that has been doing some work in my office intermittently for months. He comes in, does the work he needs to do and then I don't see him for weeks. I've had a crush on him since the first time he came and gave us a quote for the work. Our first meeting was not my finest hour.

You see, I forgot about the meeting. My boss called me at my other job where I stayed over to help with an urgent situation.
"Hey Shanea'. Were you going to be able to make that meeting today. They are at the office waiting for you."
"Oh snap! I'll be there in 20-25 minutes."
 ::Praying there is no traffic and I can speed without a ticket.::
I make it there in my hot pink scrubs and hair in the lumpy, pineapple-looking knot on top of my head and mascara slightly smudged. Real cute I know. I wasn't planning on destiny walking into my office. I figured he was an older guy like his partner I knew...so wrong! I nervously apologized for my tardiness and he joked that he got lost too. It didn't make me feel better for being so late but I'll take some playful banter. Before I even realized it I was as nervous as a potato chip on Super Bowl Sunday. I even had a couple butterflies. Yikes! This was not me. I don't get this way...

Arrangements were made and I knew I would see him again at some point. I didn't know much about him but I did know he was easy on the eyes, smart, and he smelled nice. The biggie I had to figure out...single/married and gay/straight. Depending on the combo of the answers to either of those questions that  could be the end of it.

His return was delayed by months as decisions out of my control were made. In the interim, I may have Googled him once or twice.  October arrives and he come out finally to do the work we arranged for in May. It was a good day. There was work accomplished, some banter, development of an inside joke, some casual touching - hand on shoulder/back, forward body language - all the positives of flirting....or a really good salesman. I opted for the first. (A girl can hope right.)

This was the most excitement I had in months. It was good and by the time he left I was smitten...with no hope of it going anywhere. I casually mentioned this to a co-worker and she looked him up on Facebook for me to answer my questions from before because I was too nervous to come up with a sly way to find out about his relationship status. As determined by the photos and the "About Me" section - straight and single!

OK by know you're probably wondering...where's the face palm... here goes.

He was recently back in the office for some more work. The work was fine. He was friendly and as attractive as ever. (Not an over-the-top, out of my league hot, but the kind that you know would make good Christmas card photos and cute babies. The kind that will age well.) Our day went well. Even my office mate commented on how well we seemed to get along...and that he came back twice because he kept "forgetting things."

During his work he used my laptop and I was concerned he may have noticed that I occasionally use an online dating site. (How moderately embarrassing. People do it but not many admit it.) Well later that afternoon my profile got a quick hit from a gentleman with stats and interests matching his...only downside...no photo. My thought, maybe he's shy...testing the waters. So I decided to be brave. I sent this message.
"So this may sound really strange but your details seem like someone I know...how random would that be...but without a photo it is hard to tell. ;-) PM me sometime and I'll see if my guess is right. If I'm wrong I might have met a new friend. Have a great day!"

All my hopes that he was on the other end of that connection were dashed when I got this back...
 "So yeah I don't know you."
Well I tried to be brave...took a chance and it led to this...


Comments

  1. Love this! So glad dating sites were not around when I was "looking". I can't imagine having to start a relationship that way.
    Love your blog. so glad you let me know it was here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies