Speed Dating: Take 1


See Speed Dating: My intro. It's the precursor to this entry.

I first tried speed dating about a year and a half  ago as a way to meet people. I also wanted to challenge myself to step outside the box. My philosophy is "There's usually no harm in saying 'yes' once."  After a little research, I picked a service and signed up for an event. The speed dating  was in a fairly controlled environment and little personal information is shared at one of the events unless there is a mutual decision to see each other again.

This first event was OK. I had a hard time finding the entrance to the venue as there was quite a bit of construction going on in the block. Once inside it was a quaint little mid-level professionals bar. Nicer on the inside than I could have guessed from the outside. I think I was the first or second person there...way too early. It was obvious who the other attendees were as they walked in. The people watching at these events is fabulous. All of the gals strolled in way over dressed and looking nervous. The guys showed up in their best jeans and (sometimes) pressed shirts looking a little flushed while trying hard to keep their swagger.

The hostess finally arrived and got us all arranged. It became obvious quickly that the ratio of guys to girls was skewed towards the ladies and that this 25-32 crowd included some that were far older.

I took up a prime seat that allowed me to watch the whole area...such good people watching. This alone was worth the event fee.

Of the few dates that I had, there was only one that I was remotely interested in seeing again. The others were just interesting. More on those later...

The verdict: I'll do this again even if it is just to people watch. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies