"Honey Bunch Cupcake Lovey Muffin"
If you are in my inner circle or even somewhere in my orbit I have probably called you a pet name at some point. "Cupcake" "Darling" "Honey Bunch" "Love Muffin" "Missy Moo"just to name a few.
I have had some interesting nicknames. First there was "pumpkin." I think this one came from family though the main one they used was "Strawberry Shortcake." In high school, I had a couple though none were very appropriate or memorable. Then there was "Shanannarae" from a room mate after high school. "Shen" came from another friend. "Shanea the Doll" is another one in my collection.
In college while studying away I was dubbed "Mama Duck" because more than once I had a group of people with me and I liked to do head counts.
What is unique about a pet name is that it is born out of relationship. It is a term of endearment shared between two people. A pet name, even one of the generic ones, signifies a level of familiarity and trust.
This is the precise reason that if I barely know you, the quickest way for me to end our conversation is for you to call me "babe," "sweetie," or "princess." I acknowledge that my parents were a bit crazy with this name of mine but if you are close to me (or hope to be) use my name. At least make it to the 3rd or 4th date before you even try out something other than my name. If you are brave enough to use a pet name, be original.
It seems that there are lots of other ladies out there that agree with me on hated pet names. While this survey was done in the UK the thought is the same. Don't call me Babe! The most hated pet names for women revealed
My whole premise against a pet name or nick name early in a relationship is that it creates a false sense of closeness and intimacy. With that said, there is one that makes me melt. No, I won't reveal what it is because it is something with superpowers to turn me into mush. In the interim, learn how to say my name and use it often but not in a whiny way. I'm not your mama.
"Darling" I happen to like...but I have to like you a lot for you to survive saying it to me and no I won't make you pancakes....well...maybe if you say please.
![]() |
| The curly, red hair = Strawberry Shortcake. My 2nd Halloween |
What is unique about a pet name is that it is born out of relationship. It is a term of endearment shared between two people. A pet name, even one of the generic ones, signifies a level of familiarity and trust.
This is the precise reason that if I barely know you, the quickest way for me to end our conversation is for you to call me "babe," "sweetie," or "princess." I acknowledge that my parents were a bit crazy with this name of mine but if you are close to me (or hope to be) use my name. At least make it to the 3rd or 4th date before you even try out something other than my name. If you are brave enough to use a pet name, be original.
- "Babe" I'm not a piglet.
- "Sweetie" That's what my geriatric patients call me.
- "Princess" Only if that means I'm in charge.
It seems that there are lots of other ladies out there that agree with me on hated pet names. While this survey was done in the UK the thought is the same. Don't call me Babe! The most hated pet names for women revealed
"Darling" I happen to like...but I have to like you a lot for you to survive saying it to me and no I won't make you pancakes....well...maybe if you say please.

Comments
Post a Comment