15.) Develop my own catch phrase.

Part of my 28 feats list was something cheesy - develop my own catch phrase. I'm not sure if "catch phase" is exactly what I'm looking for in the name but I need an alternative to "interesting." My life offers lots of opportunities where I need something to say when I'm not sure what to say.

Words that never really were part of my vocabulary have crept in since I've become a nurse. It's not simply "angioedema," "pudding-like", "moist", "choledochocholedochostomy." There are a lot more four-letter words than I care to admit.

I don't know what it is but there is something that is freeing about locking myself in the medication prep room and letting a few choice words loose under my breath. I hypothesize that it is one of the only socially acceptable forms of rebellion in my work environment. It's not just me either. There was a long discussion one slow night about the prevalence of the potty mouth among nurses.

Not there is lots of truth in prime time TV, a recent episode of Bones discussed this very topic...Have a look see... All about "Gateway Swear Words"...





Since I've become a nurse I've become a potty mouth. Not only do I have no boundaries about what sights and smells I will discuss over a meal with nurses (and non-nurses who try not to hurl) four letter words have become part of the work norm much to my dismay. Here is a great essay on being married to /dating a nurse that explains it well.

One night in particular I was attempting to express my frustation over a very challenging situation. While talking it over with a co-worker it came out something a bit like this..." Well s***, f*** and applesauce."

Not sure were the last one came from or why those words were mashed together.

Random: yes. Cute: no. Cheesy: h-e-double hockey sticks yes. Now when I feel the need to use it..."SFA!" is the phrase of choice in abbreviation. Sorry to all my Lumberjack nurses out there. Only my closest work pal or two until now know this...until now...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies