Mariachi Anyone?

Saturday morning started like any other except I woke up in a hotel room that I will call home for the next two months. After rising early and partaking of nourishments, I proceeded to unpack more. I didn't get much done last night since our run to Target for a few things and breakfast turned into three shopping carts of stuff and food for our little temporary home.

Around 11:30 the roomies and I headed to the pool. For my first day in the sun I proceeded with caution. Well that wasn't enough. Within thirty minutes I was pink and everyone could see it. I covered my shoulders and then accidentally burned my chest too. Now everything itches. This is not the interesting part of the story...

While hanging poolside chatting with the girlies and reading a book, these few teenagers kept coming in and out to the pool area. Before long they were back for another trip carrying a guitar, amp and an accordion...yes an accordion - the thing you squeeze and press buttons on so music will come out. They started warming up and the girls and I had a little chuckle as we couldn't figure out what was going on or how long it would go for. We turned down our tunes to better hear theirs. They were actually decent.

After awhile more and more folks with their group came pool side. At this point, I made my exit as I was really toasty and fearful of lobstering myself of the first day. I was later told that they played for the next THREE hours all taking turns on the different instruments. Every time I looked out he window to the pool I could see how they were moving to stay out of the direct sunshine. Quite amusing...and only in Texas.

Later that evening, it was time for the welcome dinner. The entire brigade (minus one) headed out to dinner. Long and short of it....yummy fajitas on homemade tortillas and tres leches cake. I was in heaven. It was great to meet the program staff and the rest of the group.

The vening brought another host of activites that were also quite amuzing...and more music only this band was less impressive than the afternoon intertainment. Let's just say it ended with a few old gusy doing rock and roll covers trying really hard to be cool while playing way too loud. Combine that with the smell of fish tacos and I made a hasty exit.

This next few months is looking up. Great stories to come. Until next time....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies