My First Valentine's Date
In honor of the commercialized holiday, I thought I would share about my very first Valentine's date.
I was in my early twenties and I had been seeing this gentleman for a few weeks. He decided he wanted to make Valentine's a big deal. I didn't care so much but it was really important to him. In the days leading up to the holiday, he kept asking me what I wanted to do. I stated over and over that it didn't matter to me. I had been swamped at work and could barely leave the office at night. Thoughts of an ultra romantic date were not in the forefront of my mind. He also was suggesting expensive gifts. I shut that down quickly as I wasn't sure I was that committed and we all know that gifts are social contracts.
The big day rolls around. He let me know the day before that we had dinner reservations "late." I couldn't get an answer as to what "late" was but I knew I was going to be hungry. I managed to get out of work almost on time that day and proceeded to drive in traffic to his house as he lived in the next town over. I finally made it to his house by 7. I told him that I would have to change at this place because I was coming from work and I smelled by barbeque. I managed to change and I thought we were leaving for dinner...we weren't. Reservations were later. By this time my stomach was growling. He said that we had some time before dinner and we could go bowling. I quipped "well I'm gonna need to borrow some socks" as I was in heels a skirt. He brings me a pair of socks and I take them and my purse and head towards the front door as I thought we were going to the bowling alley. To my surprise he was parked on the couch and the Wii was on.
Finally we headed out to dinner close to 9. He took me to a swanky local place. We both were somewhat underdressed. The food was amazing. The conversation awkward.
I think at the end of the night I would have been happy with pizza and a cheesy box of chocolates.
I was in my early twenties and I had been seeing this gentleman for a few weeks. He decided he wanted to make Valentine's a big deal. I didn't care so much but it was really important to him. In the days leading up to the holiday, he kept asking me what I wanted to do. I stated over and over that it didn't matter to me. I had been swamped at work and could barely leave the office at night. Thoughts of an ultra romantic date were not in the forefront of my mind. He also was suggesting expensive gifts. I shut that down quickly as I wasn't sure I was that committed and we all know that gifts are social contracts.
The big day rolls around. He let me know the day before that we had dinner reservations "late." I couldn't get an answer as to what "late" was but I knew I was going to be hungry. I managed to get out of work almost on time that day and proceeded to drive in traffic to his house as he lived in the next town over. I finally made it to his house by 7. I told him that I would have to change at this place because I was coming from work and I smelled by barbeque. I managed to change and I thought we were leaving for dinner...we weren't. Reservations were later. By this time my stomach was growling. He said that we had some time before dinner and we could go bowling. I quipped "well I'm gonna need to borrow some socks" as I was in heels a skirt. He brings me a pair of socks and I take them and my purse and head towards the front door as I thought we were going to the bowling alley. To my surprise he was parked on the couch and the Wii was on.
Yes ladies and gentlemen, we were going to Wii bowl.
I looked shocked and he asked why I needed the socks. We burned an hour playing Wii bowling much to my dismay as I'm not good at video games. Finally we headed out to dinner close to 9. He took me to a swanky local place. We both were somewhat underdressed. The food was amazing. The conversation awkward.
I think at the end of the night I would have been happy with pizza and a cheesy box of chocolates.
Happy Valentine's Day!

Comments
Post a Comment