Transplants and Babies: The Correlation

I was asked to reflect on my experience so far and how I am able to assimilate it into my framework of self-concept Working in transplant medicine is not what I thought I would be doing...at all. This has caused much introspection and challenged me to look beyond the tasks I do and see how vocation comes into play. Feel free to read on....

This is not where I thought I would be five years ago or even two years ago. Working with this team in this specialty is challenging me to change my perspective and see similarities and differences in where my heart lies. More now than ever I see that it isn't the title that I hold, it's about the work that I do and the vocation I fulfill.
The more involved I become in the role of a transplant nurse, I am able to draw some parallels to my interest in birth work. The role of a community based midwife or doula is a facilitator of education, health care, and resources for women of childbearing age as well as advocate in their care journey. As a transplant nurse, there a place for the birth work background and passion I have. My doula trainer was a retired nurse; she made a profound statement that stuck with me: “Everyone in the hospital needs a doula. It’s not just about birth. It’s about having a hand to hold and an outside perspective to kick you in the pants when needed. Hospitals are scary places and everyone needs a guide. I feel this outlook fits well with the concept of hospital excellence experience.

Just as I labored with patients to see the outcome of a new life, I labor with my patients now to see them walk the halls and learn about their medications. I feel the same satisfaction when I discharge home a successful transplant as when I was able to sing “Happy Birthday” to a little one in their first minutes of life. The organ recipient and family get a new lease on life. In some small way it is a birthday for them on transplant day.

Families are an integral part of both of these journeys - birth and transplantation. The birth journey is a faster pace than that of transplant processes but it can be filled with just as many surprises - the unexpected phone call that it's time to go to the hospital, the joy and challenges of transition, and the need for a network of family and community support to help ensure success and health. I have been able to experience, in both settings, the importance of families involvement that can "make or break" a care progression in healing.

I look forward to finding ways to further merge my doula skills and my nursing practice. I, as a nurse, become a “trusted guide” on the journey to wellness and if any of the patients in this facility need this, it is transplant patients. The long journey with ups, downs and unexpected moments can wear down the strongest families and patients. I have the privilege of not only meeting physical needs, but also of standing in the gap as advocate and comforter when needed. What an awesome responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies