Tips for Surviving Night Shift: #1

Tips for surviving night shift #1: Never put off for later something you can do now...even if it is 3am...no matter how slow you think your night will be.

This rule is the first I have come to live by. That sneaky thought of "The night has gone smoothly so far. I'm sure I'll have time to do my dressing changes when I pass meds in the morning..."is a sure sign that the universe is about to poop in your soup. Everytime I have ignored the free moment to catch up, I've left an hour late, frazzled nearly in tears. Inevitably, a confused patient wanders off and I have to go find him/her, someone will have chest pain and shortness of breath, or the busiest...we'll get an admit for a stat transplant.

Believe me...seize the moment and wake that person up to ____________...fill in the blank....sign consents, change dressings, etc. You'll be thankful later.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies