Draw a Rainbow...No Crayons Needed
When I was a student, I was in awe of those folks who could draw blood like a champ. I was exited the first time I was asked to help with this. I was so nervous about my ability to find a vein and hit it. If I succeeded, I'd be like the real nurses. I could "draw a rainbow" - one of each tube type most commonly done in the ER.
Now a regular part of my duties is drawing morning labs. Sometimes it's easy and everyone has a working central line - no sticking necessary. Other days all four (or six) patients need to be stuck to get the labs. I hope and pray it's a one stick kinda morning and I can actually find a place to get blood from. Frequently my clients have terrible veins and I find myself looking in the strangest places for the tiniest vein that is accessible. I don't know what will happen when I'm working with relatively healthy people again whose veins are not blown and scarred.
There a rush like no other when you get blood from a that impossible spot. I've gotten good at wiggling the tiniest needle into the most awkward spots and managing to fill several tubes. Best technique and most awkward pose yet - have said individual lay on his/her side. Look for the "sucker vein" that runs down the underside of the arm generally from the elbow area. It's the "sucker vein" because it is usually a good one to hit if you can figure out how to position the person to access it. This is not a fast process but I'm getting to be champ.
Now If I could get as good with IVs. Putting something in and taking something out are two whole different tasks...
Now a regular part of my duties is drawing morning labs. Sometimes it's easy and everyone has a working central line - no sticking necessary. Other days all four (or six) patients need to be stuck to get the labs. I hope and pray it's a one stick kinda morning and I can actually find a place to get blood from. Frequently my clients have terrible veins and I find myself looking in the strangest places for the tiniest vein that is accessible. I don't know what will happen when I'm working with relatively healthy people again whose veins are not blown and scarred.
There a rush like no other when you get blood from a that impossible spot. I've gotten good at wiggling the tiniest needle into the most awkward spots and managing to fill several tubes. Best technique and most awkward pose yet - have said individual lay on his/her side. Look for the "sucker vein" that runs down the underside of the arm generally from the elbow area. It's the "sucker vein" because it is usually a good one to hit if you can figure out how to position the person to access it. This is not a fast process but I'm getting to be champ.
Now If I could get as good with IVs. Putting something in and taking something out are two whole different tasks...

Comments
Post a Comment