NEO: New Employee Orientation = Necessary Education Overload

I did this just a few months ago when I was a MAPP student. This is day one. I've got about 6 more before I'm doing something besides sitting in a lecture.

I'm still humbled by the story of the organization I work for. It's that pioneer thing...it's in me. I'm drawn to these types of organizations whether I realize it or not. From almost closing more than once to developing artificial heart pumps and developing techniques in transplant medicine, this place give off the vibe of "keep going, keep doing, keep growing." We had to watch this video about the history of the hospital and it took an effort 1.) not to stand up and cheer when it was over and 2.) not to get misty eyed at the greatness and inspiration. I didn't succeed so well in the second part.

The second part of the day all of the RNs were sitting around a table and lecture one of my professors gave us over and over came to mind...all about the Diet Coke can. She recalled a time when she was in her boss's office and put her drink on the desk. That was a no no. The desk represented the realm of power that authority figure portrayed. Generally the amount of space a person takes up in a social situation correlates to the power they are attempting to assert, consciously or  subconsciously, on the group.
My work space.
 Ignore my finger in the bottom.
 I was trying to be discreet...

As I looked at my area of the table and how much of it I had taken up, I realized that I, too, was subconsciously projecting my own power in the situation. I'm comfortable in this place. Partly because I know what's coming in terms of orientation and partly because I know that this is what I'm supposed to be right now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies