An Appropriate Response? AKA...Why We Never Google Anyone!

Last Wednesday night I went to a concert/worship event on a whim. Since it was last minute, so much so it was the argument with myself of "take the exit or keep driving? Do I have cash to pay for parking?"

It was a good night. The seat I was assigned was terrible. I was bumping elbows with everyone. The last 8 rows in the back were wide open. I moved up there to worship without being bumped or touched or hitting anyone else. This also saved the people around me from my singing and loud sobbing as I have been known to do.

At the end of the  night I was following the rest of the crowd out and I caught movement that seemed headed towards me out of the corner of my left eye. I glanced quickly and there was a gentleman making his way towards me. I thought  "nah, he's going for the exit." I glanced again and he was standing next to me hand extended.
"You came alone, too."
Me - "yes"
"Yeah I could tell you were really feeling it. Great that you came."

Then I have him the worst limp fish left-handed handshake. 

This is not me. I try to be kind to even strangers. He caught me completely by surprise.

On the way out I thought he might be following me. Nah.

I thought about the whole thing as I headed home. I wasn't very polite and I felt sooooo guilty. I didn't even remember the guy's name. How could I make it up? I needed to put some good vibes in the world.

I'll admit this next part wasn't my most intelligent idea ever but I needed a way to alleviate my guilt.

I posted the comments below on a well-known website. I was intentionally vague and tried to write as innocently as possible. Read on.


I didn't want, need or expect an answer. The next day my inbox was filled. Some of the usual "hey baby:" messages. A couple kind ones that were things like "I hope you find him. You both seem nice." and then there were the photos... specifically dick pics. Why!?! 

What in the world makes anyone think that my words invited a picture of their genitals?

The other part of this. There were a few nicely composed messages that I felt compelled (guilted) into answering. So I did. The mistake...Googling their names. Now my brain is not only troubled by sideways sausages but also mug shots of people matching these names.

Lesson learned #1 Give up the guilt and say no to random urges to "make it right."

Lesson #2 Never under any circumstance Google someone. I thought I learned that before but this time I think I got the picture....unfortunately all too clearly.

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! that's worse than I thought! You poor thing :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Honduras 2016: The One and Only Thing

Intuition 101: Trusting the Little Voice

Things to Put in Your Mouth: Raspberry Chocolate Chip Cookies