First Code through Five Senses
The Short Story: One early morning, the floor care assistant came and found me in another room.
He said, "You should come see Patient X." I left the room I was
in and proceeded to the patient's room. I immediately knew something was wrong.
I tried to arouse the patient and called for help. As a respiratory
therapy provider came in the room we pushed the Code Blue button. The respiratory therapist and I started chest compressions and respirations via trach. Other staff
eventually came in with the crash cart. Long story short the patient
was transferred to ICU.
The Senses: What I can't describe with adequate words are the colors, smells and sounds There is the cold, flat grey of the skin evident with lack of oxygenation. Fluid that leaves the body when it is close to death smells like...well...death. It is a smell that invades your face and tries to crawl its way out through every pore. It is a smell that lingers with you when you go home and scrub in the shower. Then you double wash your scrubs in hot water. The one thing I know I did right was count to thirty...loudly. I am a champion compression counter.
The Senses: What I can't describe with adequate words are the colors, smells and sounds There is the cold, flat grey of the skin evident with lack of oxygenation. Fluid that leaves the body when it is close to death smells like...well...death. It is a smell that invades your face and tries to crawl its way out through every pore. It is a smell that lingers with you when you go home and scrub in the shower. Then you double wash your scrubs in hot water. The one thing I know I did right was count to thirty...loudly. I am a champion compression counter.
The Reflection: Reflecting on that situation there are things I would do
differently if I was in that situation again with that particular patient.
First, I wish that some of the more experienced nurses in the room would have
jumped in to help me. I was in a bit of a panic as this was my first code
situation. Defibrillation did not occur early enough. Secondly, I would
have confronted the NP who called me "ridiculous" in front of the ICU
attending at staff. The NP was asked by the attending with me standing there,
though he didn't realize it, if the patient's heart actually stopped. The NP
stated, "No. I don't know why she was doing
compressions...Ridiculous." My response to that would have been three
people checked for a pulse in different places with no pulse so that was our
reason. The telemetry monitor did not go off, most likely, as the system was
off line for part of that night for maintenance. Regardless, I've had to make
peace with the whole situation because I knew this patient well and I
don't think that his wishes were honored in the situation. Every time
I compressed his chest, I had to resist saying "I'm sorry."
Comments
Post a Comment