Springsteen
It was a near perfect summer afternoon. I was in the passenger seat of his red sedan with a warm mug of tea in hand. Yes tea in the summer; it was kinda our thing. We were on an adventure I planned. I spent the week emailing him questions. The answers to those questions led to another question all leading up to today's adventure. He had no idea where we were going. He just picked me up and I plugged the address in to his GPS and we were off.
In that moment, it felt nearly perfect. The sun shining through the windshield warming me from the inside out. Cozy in the passenger's seat with the thought of an exciting adventure ahead and time with someone I cared about gave me a few butterflies As we drove, not speaking, just listening to the CD mix I made for the occasion, I thought about how content I was. It was that moment where I was completely comfortable with the man I was with. I didn't feel the need to add anything or take anything away from that moment. I just wanted to be. For just a moment I let myself question if this is what being "in love" felt like. It had been a long time since I felt anything close to that.
There was something about being with him. He knew me and I knew that I was captivating to him. I wanted to take that moment and that feeling and forever store it.
As I let my ears take in the melody coming from the radio most appropriately was the song on the radio at the time. Eric Church's Springsteen. "Funny how a melody feels like a memory..."
Yes, this song has become a regular in my personal play list. When I hear it for a moment I feel the way I did on that warm summer afternoon. Content, cozy, excited, hopeful, secure, wanted.
I wasn't seventeen. We did see starts that night and Saturn too - at the observatory - after an afternoon hike and a picnic.
While he is no longer in my life, I remember that feeling everytime I hear this song. It's not a memory associated with himso much as it is the comfort of the unguarded moments we shared.
In that moment, it felt nearly perfect. The sun shining through the windshield warming me from the inside out. Cozy in the passenger's seat with the thought of an exciting adventure ahead and time with someone I cared about gave me a few butterflies As we drove, not speaking, just listening to the CD mix I made for the occasion, I thought about how content I was. It was that moment where I was completely comfortable with the man I was with. I didn't feel the need to add anything or take anything away from that moment. I just wanted to be. For just a moment I let myself question if this is what being "in love" felt like. It had been a long time since I felt anything close to that.
There was something about being with him. He knew me and I knew that I was captivating to him. I wanted to take that moment and that feeling and forever store it.
As I let my ears take in the melody coming from the radio most appropriately was the song on the radio at the time. Eric Church's Springsteen. "Funny how a melody feels like a memory..."
Yes, this song has become a regular in my personal play list. When I hear it for a moment I feel the way I did on that warm summer afternoon. Content, cozy, excited, hopeful, secure, wanted.
I wasn't seventeen. We did see starts that night and Saturn too - at the observatory - after an afternoon hike and a picnic.
While he is no longer in my life, I remember that feeling everytime I hear this song. It's not a memory associated with himso much as it is the comfort of the unguarded moments we shared.
Comments
Post a Comment